This just might be the fugliest stool in the entire world. It could be entered into a fugly stool contest.
It was 12.00 and as ugly as it was, I noticed the nice legs.
Getting past this plastic covering was tough though.
Whomever reupholstered it in this awful covering even made a pleated skirt.
Man, this was nasty.
My father always taught me that to learn how something is made, you have to take it apart. I spent hours prying old upholstery tacks out of this. There were hundreds of them.
But finally the fun part began. I pulled out fabrics and trims and started pulling it all together.
Finding the right combination is key to the final results.
Just a tip...you can find some really nice pieces of quality fabrics for 2.00 each at Jo Ann Fabrics when they clear out their samples. I really wanted to use the velvet dot fabric for the bottom of this stool but the sample piece was not large enough. They even have some of their 13.00 trims marked down to 97 cents.
I settled on this leftover piece I had from an old project. This is Scalamandre.
First I lined the bottom with burlap. See all of the old tack holes?
My upholstery apprentice became bored with this project very fast.
I cut the burlap to fit.
Then I tacked it to the frame.
I stuffed the stool all around the springs with bunting and then stapled it in place.
This is the batting I used.
Then I covered that with some good cotton batting.
I pulled it tight and tacked it in place.
I decided to use a piece of gold silk I had in my scrap box to cover the bottom.
Here you can see my total lack of talent. This is exactly the reason I can't sew. I can never figure my way out of these disasters.
So I covered the horrible areas up with coordinated cording. It is the bottom after all!
Sometimes disasters bring on better results.
I positioned the fabric over the top of the stool.
Someone hand made this stool long ago and it has a bit of an irregular shape.
I forgot to take a few pics along the way.
I used fringe and cording and tassels.
I made it to use in this sitting area. You can see I used the same material on the middle pillow in the back. Click on any of the pics for a closer look.
Here is the finished stool sitting in front of my chair at my writing desk.
It matches the small Italian chairs sitting in the same hall.
The stool is bigger than the chair.
It"s much more proportionate to the desk chair. You can see that I have used many different prints on all of these pieces but as long as they are in the same tonal range they work wonderfully together.
So, for 12.00 and some old fabric and trim, I have a nice matching footstool.
***Remember to enter the latest giveaway by clicking on the button on my sidebar.