|My morning harvest. The big tomatoes are huge! They are 5-6 inches wide. I made white bread so tomato sandwiches are on the lunch menu. I think there is nothing better than a mayo and tomato sandwich on homemade bread.|
I pulled some beets.
|And harvested my carrots. They sure are small and it was a real labor of love to clean them. I will show you how I prepare the root vegetables tomorrow.|
|The last of the peaches are turned into smoothies.|
- 2 -3 pounds boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut in strips
- 1 egg + 2 tbsp water whisked together to make an egg wash
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar (white wine vinegar is fine in a pinch)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil
- ½ tsp salt salt
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup wate
- Combine the 1 cup flour, ½ tsp black pepper, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, 3 tbsp ground ginger, 2 tsp salt.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg wash then dredge them in the flour mixture.
- Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and lightly drizzle the tops with a little more olive oil.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 25-30 minutes. Flip the pieces at half way through the cooking time.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare your sauce. Don’t walk away from this sauce; it gets very hot when making the caramel base and can burn easily so pay careful attention while cooking it.
- In a small bowl, mix together the 4 tbsp soya sauce, 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar, ¼ cup water, 2 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil, 2 tbsp hot chilli paste or sauce, ½ tsp salt, 2 tsp corn starch, 3 cloves minced garlic and 3 tbsp freshly grated ginger. Set this mixture aside.
- In a medium saucepan boil together the 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of water.
- Boil this over medium heat, watching constantly until the caramel starts to turn a light amber color and you can begin to smell the caramel. When it reaches this stage, give the other ingredients in the bowl a quick stir to make sure the corn starch is dissolved then add it all at once to the hot caramel. (Careful: This mixture is very hot!)
- Be careful at this stage because this sauce can foam up considerably for a few seconds and it is very hot. Simmer for only few minutes and remove from the heat and allow to cool down slightly.
- Toss the sauce with the cooked chicken pieces and serve over plain steamed rice or Chinese noodles.